American Views Abroad


Thursday, October 28, 2004
 
Roaming through the political blogs and sites I usually read has left me with an uncanny feeling today. At Unfutz, www.unfutz.blogspot.com, who has taken on the huge task of tracking the electoral college votes via many sites, he begins his last Summary with ' It's quiet out there ---too quiet.' Body and Soul, bodyandsoul.typepad.com , passes on the tip of having MoveOn's Election Protection Card on you when trying to vote. It gives information about what you can do if someone tries to prevent you from voting and can be downloaded at http://cdn.moveonpac.org/content/pdfs/ep_card.pdf. On www.thepoliticaljunkies.net in By the Numbers there are two antidotal stories to relieve the tension. Here' mine:

In early December 2000 I ran into another American who lives in my neighborhood and who was just great in fixing up any and all problems one could encounter with a computer. Doing Christmas shopping on a very crowded Saturday afternoon and with the Supreme Court decision still an open wound, whom do I have to find standing in front of me grinning----a Bush voter from Florida. He couldn't resist gloating and I couldn't resist telling him what I thought. One thing led to another and we ended up shouting at each other. The end of it all was my decision to find someone else to work on my computer. Last July - two days before leaving for the US - in one of those situations that just can't be avoided, we ran into each other again, almost in the same place. He extended his hand (automatically done in Germany) and I admit it took me a moment to respond. He jumped to the point with his next remark which was if I knew what the difference between Kerry and Bush is. His immediate response -- Kerry can think. Following his list of outrages, starting with the Patriot Act, he then sheepishly added that even if Gore had won, it wouldn't have made a difference on 9/11. No, I added, he was probably right on that one, but it would have made all the difference in the world afterwards.

Comments: Post a Comment


Disclaimer: American Views Abroad is not responsible for offsite content. All links in blog entires are external offsite links, unless otherwise indicated.